Instagram
Follow on Feedspot
Follow on Bloglovin
Nicoles Nails

Monday 10 February 2014

Tutorial time!

So today I've got a bit of an experimental tutorial time for you all. Over the weekend I decided to try a water marbling effect on my nails.

Now to be honest this is not as easy as the short tutorials make it look on Pinterest! And it's very very messy! To start with you'll need a bowl of water, make sure you use something you don't mind ruining, I used an old tub that I can't find the lid for! Then choose a collection of colours. I've used BarryM's 'blue moon', white and 'watermelon' for this. I found it best to put one of the colours on first as I base colour, in case you get any gaps. 



Then add a drop of each colour on top of each other onto the water. This then creates a film for you to stick your finger into. Use a toothpick or old pencil to swirl the colours into a pattern of your choice and then your ready to make a mess! You'll need to protect your fingers for this as it gets everywhere, you can either use tape or Vaseline. I used Vaseline and covered half of my finger, then once the excess is dry you can just peel it off. 


Carefully dip your nail into the water, you can't just pull it straight out again, you'll need to use the toothpick to cut off the excess paint around your finger, otherwise you'll pull the whole lot out of the water! 





And once it's dry, just clean up round the edges. I have to be honest here, I got in an absolute mess (much to the enjoy of my husband who just sat and laughed at me!) and I did find the whole process quite difficult. But I think with a bit of practice I'll be able to create some really pretty designs using this method :) the other way I found quite good, was to let the pattern dry on top of the water and then gently pull the polish away, which leaves you with a film that you can put onto your nail and then use top coat to seal it on top. This was very fiddly and you have to be really gentle but it does work well! 








So give it a go at home and see what you think! 

Nicole x 
@nicolesnailsuk
Instagram: #nicolesnailsuk 
Pinterest.com/nicolesnails 

1 comment:

  1. Hey Nicole! I’ve nominated you for the Liebster Award. If you’d like to take part then read my post to find out more :) http://kerrymac88.blogspot.co.uk/2014/02/the-liebster-award.html

    ReplyDelete